Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can I feed my ball python dead mice?

I am thinking of getting a ball python and am wondering if I could feed it dead mice instead of live??
Answers:
Yes you can! Pet stores and some breeders sell prekilled frozen mice!
I rescued a three year old ball python who'd been fed only live prey. Many people I asked said there was little chance I'd be able to "convert" him to dead mice.
Mwahaha! I am victorious!
He didn't eat the first two months I had him (note: ball pythons can go from 6months to a year without eating--for no apparent reason to humans! This is not a problem unless you notice the snake is losing weight) I tried all different sorts of suggested tactics from waving it in front of his face with a pair of tongs to dipping it in chicken broth. Turns out: he's a shy eater. Nowadays, after I thaw the mice out I place them in a paper grocery bag and put that in his cage. As soon as I put him in the bag he "attacks" the dead mouse and "strangles" it. ^.^
There are plenty of people out there who say it can't be done, but it CAN! I spent two months trying to find out the magic way to feed him dead mice (you can find it too!)
Good luck!
most people feed snakes frozen mice.
yup frozen mice work great
as long as the mouse is still warm, i tried to feed my snake dead mice but they like them a live.
yes, it's actually safer for the snake because a mouse or rat can seriously hurt the snake. you can buy them frozen and when it's time to feed thaw them in warm water and never use your hands use a long pair of tongs, this way the snake won't associate your hand for food only and use gloves when handling the food because even if you wash them the snake can still smell it.
also, if the snake won't eat the dead mouse or rat dip the food in chicken broth. also if the snake does bit you never pull it to try to get it off,because the teeth are curved and will break and do more damage to you and the snake.
My girlfriend and I have 2 ball pythons and a red tail boa and none of them will eat dead mice because we've always fed them live. One day the pet store we buy our mice from packed them too tight and some of them died, the snakes didnt want anything to do with them and they were freshly dead! If you're planning on feeding it dead ones you should make sure that who ever owns it before you also feeds it dead mice.
A lot of people feed their snakes dead mice, but mine (like some other people's answers) won't eat them. So you may have to feed it live mice.
its better to feed them pre killed mice because the mouse can hurt the snake. the mouse can bite the snake and it can also kill the snake
i guess so but it wont ifect it really

No comments:

Post a Comment