Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can turtle experts help me!?

I have a turtle (red eared slider) and whenever it sees me it fly's back in its tank, goes to the other side, or stares at me as if i am going to eat it. I want it to not be afraid of me and like me instead of thinking that i am some evil monster that is going to eat it.
What can I do?
Answers:
RES turtles are shy animals anyway and should have a place to feel safe. Our turtles are startled sometimes when we walk into the room, esp if they are basking on their dock. You can handle him more, our oldest turtle likes to have its neck rubbed like a cat. Be patient.
pull it out of the tank every other day so it gets used to you
maybe even introduce it to other turtles
just let it knows its your freind
if it tries to bite or claw you keep holding it so i knows "you are the Master" after a while a holding it it should get used to you
you can hold it more but wash your hands before and after or put gloves onhttp://www.austinsturtlepage.com/banners...

hope this helps
pick it up more wash hands before and after everytime you
want to pick it up maybe even hand feed it to let it know that
you are its owner and you care for it you dont want to give it a
negetive vibe try to talk if you want it to get used to its name
call his name more often even let it interact with other turtles
of the same species ... hope i helped ,you can email me if
you have other questions good luck with your turtle! bye

PS: here is a link to a website that mite help
www.anapsid.org/reslider.html
Mine did that when I got him for the first few months. It does think you are going to eat it =). Just walk near the tank slowly (they don't associate things that move slow as a threat) and drop a treat like a chunk of strawberry in for him when he sees you so he can associate you with food. I did this for my Painted for about a month and now every time he sees me he will jump in the water and swim like crazy to try and get near me to get food =) It will take time but soon he will see you as a friend.
I am not a turtle expert, but I raised a red-eared slider from when it was the size of a quarter until I released it into natural surrounding after it was 9.5 years old. If you want your slider to get used to you then start feeding him by hand. My slider would eat lettuce right out of my hand and it knew when it saw me that it was chow time. I could even give her live crickets by hand, so after a time she became very people friendly. Not too friendly that she could not be released back into her natural surroundings, as I kept her in a natural setting outside in a pound until she out grew it. She was 14 inches in diameter when I released her, most sliders do not live to be that size in captivity, most only live a few short years.
yeah u can hold it more but wash hands or use gloves
what my brother said i told him to type that
They naturally flee, as they consider you to be a predator.
The turtle will gradually become bolder, as it get used to seeing you.
Several posters recommended that handling the turtle will make it less afraid of you, but that is incorrect. Turtles do not like to be handled, and doing so will actually make them fear you MORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment