Saturday, May 22, 2010

Can turtles live in watter you get from your hose?

I have a prob I need to know if the live in watter you get from your hose, I don't live in a city, I live in a town... well anyway I am thinking of getting a small turtle from my friends pond. I am getting different animals and i figure out how you take care of them, how you feed them and stuff like that, so I really need help on this one cause I have looked online before about this Question and never found an answer for it so I really need alot of ppl to answer this one.
Answers:
It slightly disturbs me that someone could think that leaving their turtle out baking in the sun for hours in a container of water, unable to get out of the sun, until they literally cook to death is funny. Obviously, that person is the last one who should be giving out information of how to care for living things.
First of all, to answer your primary question. Yes, you can use water from your hose, or tap water, for your turtle. I'll assume that since your taking this from a friend's pond, that it's some kind of slider or similar water turtle. As long as you make sure that water is dechlorinated, it will be fine for your turtle.
You can feed him a simple canned dry turtle food (it's packaged just like fish food) that you can get at any pet store. give him a tank with about 4-5 inches of water in the bottom, a rock or log to bask on, and a basking bulb that's the right wattage for the tank size over it (DO NOT simple take him outside once a day... he needs to be able to access a basking spot all day, not just when it's convenient for his owner.) feed him about once or twice a day, and clean his tank out once a week. If you get a filter for his tank, you can clean it once every 2-4 weeks.
I hope this helps you.
Turtles need the water to be treated just like fish would. You need to remove the chlorine and other chemicals that are in the water.
Prepare the water just like you would for a fish...declornate it!
yeap you can use water from your hose, jsut make sure is not too hot when you put it, your turtle can live inside but you will need to take them to take a the sun once a day just dont forget them or they will boil , he he (happened to me once) you can also get a calcium rock they sell it at the pet stores usually has a turtle shape, and the bigger si the space where you have it the bigger it will grow, water changes, mmm that will depend on you and your turtle if you feed it in the same place it lives you will probably need to change it every day, but you can also get a filter (like the ones you use at the fish tanks) and the water will be clean for longer. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment