Saturday, May 22, 2010

Carpet Pythons?

So I have decided to get a Carpet Python, after hearing many things about blood pythons having nasty temperments.I was just wondering if anyone on hear has experience with them and could tell me what to expect from them. I have read that they can be a bit nippy when young though but have extreamly good temperments when the mature! So im just looking for someone to fill me in on them. What is the size/temperment difference between a Coastal Carpet, Jungle Carpet and a normal Carpet? Thanks in advance!
Answers:
its all down to the individual snake, if you get one from a baby, then you are more likely to have a 'tame' snake as it grows.
We have 3 costal carpets, and they are all wonderful. our larges is well over 6 foot now, and i trust him enough to let my 2 year old son help hold him (supervised of course!) as long as we let him sniff our hand before reaching for him he knows its us and he is placid as any boa i have owned. The two females are a lot younger than him, but again, as long as they know its us and not food they are fine, although i wouldn't let my son hold the females because they are more likely to bite if he makes sudden movements, but this rule of nippy when young applies to almost every snake.
The jungles are known to be a little bit more aggressive. but again i am a strong believer in its all down to the individual and the respect you have for the snakes, you can't expect a snake that is pulled and poked all the time to be the firendliest.
Since having our largest carpet from a hatchling, he has only bitten my partner once, and that was my partners fault, the mouse wasn't warm enough, and he wasn't using tongs to feed.
These are amazing snakes, one of my faves, out of all the snakes i have owned which is quite a few (various boa's, corns, spotted python, bull, hognosed, anaconda, african rock python, burmese, and the list goes on) i think you have made a great choice of snake to own!!
hi there
carpet pythons are nasty as well .. nippy isn't the word for it.. ... they get to about 5-6 feet ... beautifully snake but i will never have one again... if u want a good temperament snake get some kind of boa or ball python... most boa's are extremely tame even the larger red tail boa's.. I'd rather have a Burmese python then a carpet python any day ... my option ... good luck
I've only worked with Jungle carpets and most were fine. They were aggressive in the cage and required a snake hook to remove them, but once out, they were fine. There are different temperaments in all species.
i have 2 coastal carpets both tame as but can get "moody" when shedding. I live in the Australian bush (NT) and was fortunate enough to have a juvenile Children's python, slither across my verandah, my two dogs pounced. once my 5yr old son laid his eyes on it ,it was his. "Trolley" has NEVER bit or even struck at anyone, extremely placid, had him about 6 months now my son takes him out of the tank unsupervised, hes only as thick as my ring finger %26 abot 30cm long. Childrens pythons only ever grow to abour 1.2-1.5m a managable size until you get a little more experienced %26 confident. good luck snakes rock xx

No comments:

Post a Comment