Monday, May 24, 2010

Corn snake seems aggressive? Help?

I have a corn snake, I've had him for about a year. I have experience with snakes but I don't know whats going on right now. The snake is about a year old (he was a couple months old when I got him). He is about 2.5 ft.
Yesterday I changed his cage because the one he was in was starting to get to small so I bought him a bigger one. All of yesterday he was normal and he was enjoying the new cage. A couple of hours ago I went to check up on him and when I walked into the room he sprung up and tightened when I walked closer he tried to attack me! I didnt know what he was doing... I put my hand on the glass of the cage and he attacked me again! He kept doing that all the time. Then later I checked on him again but then he was really calm, kind of. If I looked close at him he just moved his head up and down really quick a couple of times, then he went back to what looked like sleeping.
Answers:
It has been recommended that when introducing a snake to a new environment (such as a new cage), that you leave him be for at least 2 weeks without feeding or handling. The snake needs this time to get acclimated to the new cage, get used to his new surroundings, and used to the room that he now has. I never had this problem with my ball python when I changed him from a 10 gallon tank to a 40 gallon, he ate and let me hold him, but it has been known to occur in other snakes. But, just give it time and soon he should calm down. Make sure you add the same cage furniture to his new cage that you had in the old.
Maybe he was hungry or in a bad mood??
They eat mice or 'hoppers' and require water. If they are hungry or dehydrated they don't like it.
make sure he is on th eright bedding wat kind of beddng is it
The behaviour will pass, it is just the change of the environment that made him nervous and defensive. Snakes are very aware of different smells and the fact that they are no longer in their own "territory". He will adjust and calm down, make sure he has adequate hide spots for the feeling of security.
Make sure the cage has the same equiment as the old one. For instence, have you changed his heat lamp for a stronger one? Or changed it entirely for mat heating? Mat heating is not a suitable heating system for snakes as they bask in the sun, from heat comming from above, not below. Something as simple as that could disorientate the snake. Is it's hot side of the cage on the same side of the cage as the last one? Have you rearranged it's materiel? Foliage is the same? Make it so that the snake doesn't think for a minute that it's in a new vivarium.
You helped me recently on my "snake fattening" question so I only feel I should return the favour. Consider yourself with 10 points and a 12th best answer.
Hope I helped!
Nathan S

No comments:

Post a Comment