Monday, May 24, 2010

Corn snake?

He is 3 weeks old and in the pet store they fed him live mice. Can I now feed him frozen?
Answers:
My babies all take frozen thawed immediately and are not fed live at all. Your baby should readily take f/t pinkies. I'm appalled that a store would have such a young snake. It couldn't have had more than a couple of meals at the most as most of us feed after first shed when they are around a week old. This is typical of pet stores unfortunately. I hope he eats for you! I don't sell any baby until they've had at least 3 meals in a row without refusal. Make sure you heat the pinky well in hot water and dry thoroughly. I find I get better feeding responses if I feed them hot. Live mice have body temps of 100-101 degrees so the mouse needs to be warm.
Yes, but it may take him a while to start accepting frozen/thawed mice. If he is hungry, he will eat! Just make sure you warm (thaw) the mouse evenly and thoroughly (NOT in the microwave). It is best to either feed the mouse to the snake using long tongs, or to lie the mouse on the floor of the tank in front of the hide box (if the snake is in it).
Eventually, let them thaw and wiggle it on the ground or in the air with long tongs so it looks like its alive and he should eat because he has to eat eventaully!
I dont really know try it itf it eats them regularly let it if not keep feeding it live mice and then try frozen ones again later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment