Saturday, May 22, 2010

Corn snake feeding ? first one to answer correctly gets 10 points?

my snake got out of blue a day and a half ago and has not ate his food it has been in there for 5-7 minutes how long should it be in there for ?
plzz
Answers:
ok...Depending on the age of the snake...Get pinkies (small, baby hairless mice) and put one in the cage. The snake is going to have to adapt to the tank you put it in and it may take some time.(Heat, light, movement in the room all affect the amount of time...)
Corn snakes are usually pretty mellow and will feed pretty quickly but don't try and force it. You may find your snake will feed when you are out of the room or it's night. Some of mine in the past would only eat when I took the mouse and wiggled it...Good luck!
Some corns will continue to feed at this stage in the shed process while others will not. If he has not located the food (I'm assuming you are feeding frozen/thawed) and started feeding after 15 or 20 minutes then he is likely not going to feed until he has completed the shed. Personally, with a snake that is usually a consistent and reliable feeder, I would not let it remain in there any longer then 30 minutes.
Has your snake actually shed it's skin yet? If not, it may or may not eat. It's fairly common for snakes to not eat while getting ready to shed. Some, however, will eat no matter what. Since I have a few hundred snakes to feed, I don't have time to wait for them to eat. They get to keep their meal until the next day when I go through the collection a second time. I use newspaper as a substrate so don't have to worry about my snakes accidentally swallowing something it shouldn't. But if you're feeding in a separate container with a lid, you can safely give your snake time to eat, especially if it's a young snake that you recently got and don't know how well it eats yet. Many of my snakes do eat their meal right away, but I have some that won't touch their mouse until after I have left and turned the lights out in the snake room. But if your snake doesn't eat, don't panic. Just wait until it's next scheduled feeding to offer another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment