Monday, May 24, 2010

Cricket Food??

I have some crickets that im going to feed to my leopard geckos what kind of food is good for crikets that any one can fined in a normal household?
Answers:
Oranges, apples, potatoes
lettuce or cabbage
You can buy a kind of food for them.
Apples are good, but they must be peeled, the skin contains something that can kill them.
I feed my crickets a mixture of rolled oats, wheat germ, crushed dog food, wheat bran, and rice baby food. I also keep some veggies or fruit in the container at all times for moisture. Its important to gut load your crickets well before feeding them to your lizard.
You can feed them just about any fruit basically. But you also need to give them water. You can put a moist napkin for a water supply. But I would prefer (like I do) cricket food called Flucker's Cricket Diet.It gut loads them (feeds them) for the geckos, and it provides them water WITHOUT drowning so usually they'll last longer. You can buy the food at almost any pet store for less than $5.
Good Luck
they love apples
I keep crickets for my gecko. I feed them Cricket Water and Cricket food that I get at PetSmart, but also any fruit and vegitable except for peppers and onions. They really seem to like apple slices, lettuce, spinach, cucumber and potatoes. Make sure to change the food alot and ifyou don't offer Cricket Water (its a gel) you can give them high moisture foods or a wet paper towel. They also like placed to hide, I use a half of an egg carton. You should also dust them with calcium and vitamins just before you feed them to your gecko. Those two things you'll have to buy from a pet supply store.
Ah the cricket questions. Just recently went through this whole thing myself.
What I find works best are carrots and peeled potatoes. You can leave them in there at a max of 2 days. (i clean my cricket cage every two days, so this works out perfectly) Whole grains and other such things are good too. I crush up different kinds of cereals and scatter the crumbs all over the cage. Don't use watery fruits like strawberries and raspberries, as they mold quickly.
Don't put anything in there that can get the crickets moist! If they get wet diseases spread through the tank like wildfire. I lost about fivehundred over a week (being the cricket amateaur that I was) ^^ Pet stores sell little water "pillows" that you let soak for a minute. They expand with water and you just place them in the cage. Much easier than trying to keep a paper towle moist. The other great thing: you can reuse them 3 or 4 times! Whoot whoot! ^o^
Lettuce, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, stuff like that. You can also feed them commercial products.

No comments:

Post a Comment