Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ball Python?

Hi,
My little brother and I are interested in buying a not too expensive snake. Unlike so many people, we think snakes are beautiful, mesmerizing creatures. We have our heart set on the ball python and I have some questions. Do they really make good pets, as in good temperment and disposition? Can you feed them already dead mice? What do I need to know? Thanks!
Answers:
first there is no ball python that gets over 6 feet and that is so rare it's unreal most ball pythons only reach a 4-5 foot. the 6 foot mark has not been seen to many times but it has happened. now ball pythons make great snake pet and I'm not just saying that because i own 27 of them i have own corns, kings, and boas as well as a few other pythons. now they can be a little work to get to get but if you give them proper temps and humidity as well as a proper cages setup they eat great mine are in a temp controlled room and they each have there own home with is also temp controlled and i have never had them go off feed unless i was doing something wrong. there are a few thing to remember with them as they have to regulate there temps you must provide them a hot side of 92 degrees and a cool side of 85 degrees. now as far a substrate never use sand as if digested it can and has cause impaction. it's where they can't poop and then you will need a vet. the best bedding is paper sheet like news print but with news print it hard to keep humidity up to the area they need of 50% and when in shed 60-70% and it not pretty that's why i would say reptile carpet or aspen never pine or ceder as they contain oils that can kill your snake.
my friends brother has one and it got over 7 feet long and can eat baby pigs good luck -Meg
Ball pythons are small, gentle, and easy to keep. They have a reputation for being finicky eaters, but if they are kept properly they will eat well.
I have kept many ball pythons, and have NEVER had one go a significant amount of time without eating. They eat frozen-thawed mice. I NEVER feed live adult rodents, and I don't recommend it.
My son has had one since he was five.
I strongly suggest you read some ball python books; the quality of advice you will get on petqna.com is very poor.
Well i have three Ball Python's and yes they have a good temperament and are docile. They can grow between 3-5 feet if you give them the room. I have only giving my snakes live food they didn't ever even try to eat the dead mice. Most reptile store can give you a run down on what your snake needs. I have sand in there tank it's safer the bark. and a hamster hide away, b/c they got to big for reptile hide aways and i have to large size heating pads in the tank. and for there water i gave them a large breed dog dish, b/c they kept tipping over there dish. Two of my snakes are about 4 feet and the other if 2 feet. I have one female and two males.
Ball pythons are known for having a good temperment, I have two and neither one of them has ever tried to bite me. If your planning on feeding it dead mice make sure where ever you buy it from also feeds it dead mice. Look up ball python care sheet on google. If you dont over feed them and keep them warm they are fairly easy to take care of.
Before getting any kind of snakes read their care sheets it will help you to decide which one you want.
http://www.reptilerescueca.org/ball.html...
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/pythons/a...
I have 2 Ball Pythons and they are very docile. I only feed live mice because mine will not eat the pre-killed. Here is a link for a Ball Python care sheet.
http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/snake...

No comments:

Post a Comment