Friday, July 31, 2009

Can a red eared slider turtle crossbreed with a map or cooter turtle?


Answers:
I guess, but unlikely. They usually mate with their own kind.
I have never heard of this being possible. From what I've read before, they have to be the same species of turtle to produce any babies. I've owned several kinds of water turtles in the past 11 years, and I've never had this happen. I even have a Florida Red Belly turtle who has always been in love with my large Yellow Belly. Always flirts with her and follows her around...:) But I've never seen them actually mate or have her produce any fertile eggs.
no and try not to
Nope
I dont think so unless they are REALLY into each other , RES only breed with their own kind , but heck you can try!
good luck

1 comment:

  1. I actually may have some proof that red-ears can breed with another species. I hatched a small clutch of eggs that I rescued from some crows and the babies have the red like the red-eared but have completely different markings. I asked a few of my reptile-savvy friends and the common conclusion is that they possibly are a hybrid.

    ReplyDelete